It is a natural to want to take immediate cleaning steps after fire damage. The right action can save further damage but incorrect or a delayed response can put at risk or impede successful restoration.
The following are helpful and important tips that will help you arrive at the best outcome should you suffer the misfortune of unexpected damage to your home or business.
When you see damage from fire and smoke, here are a few things you should do:
- Remove pets and put them in a clean environment (including fish)
- Provide alternative power sources for your fridge and freezer
- No power source alternatives? Empty your fridge and freezer, then prop the door open with a rolled up towel or newspaper
- Open all the windows to introduce fresh air into the contaminated environment
- If your furnace still works, change the filter
- Wash plants with water (both sides of the leaves) and remove the top 1/2 inch to one inch of soil
- Vacuum or blow off loose smoke particles from upholstery, draperies, and carpets
- If the heat is off in the winter, pour anti-freeze in toilet bowls, sinks, and tubs to prevent freezing
- If the heating system is off in the winter, drain the heating system (if possible)
- Clean arborite counter-tops and linoleum floors
- Clean and protect bathroom faucets, tub fittings, towel bars, and trim on kitchen appliances
This is not an exhaustive list. If you see fire and smoke damage and are not sure where to start – contact us for help.
To avoid further damage to your home or business and to prevent injury, here are a few things to avoid doing:
- Use computers, appliances, TVs, or stereos until they have been thoroughly cleaned and tested
- Use or injest any food items that have been exposed to soot
- Use or injest any canned foods that have been exposed to excessive heat
- Use upholstered items, sofas, chairs, beds…etc.
- Attempt to wash walls, ceilings, unsealed wood, bricks, or other absorbant surfaces
- Clean or launder clothes that have a strong smoke odor
- Dry clean garments that have a strong smoke odor
Use your best judgement when you re-enter an area that just experienced a fire. If you’re not sure what to do, contact us for guidance.
Get Help Today
Don’t let fire and smoke damage ruin your home. Call Farr’s today.