Taking immediate action when there is water in your home or business can help reduce the damage done to your property. The damaging effects of water can be greatly reduced by using common sense and quick action!
The following tips are helpful and important when you encounter water damage to your home or business. Remember, most of this is logical so quick action is key.
When you see water damage, here are a few things you should do:
- Place towels (color-fast/non-bleed) on carpeted floors beneath dripping ceilings
- Poke small holes in drooping drywall ceilings to relieve trapped water
- Open camera & musical cases, suitcases and boxed contents and allow to dry in sunlight if possible
- Wipe water from wood furniture
- Remove paintings and art objects to a dry environment
- Open cabinet and desk doors & drawers
- Open windows to enhance drying
- Remove as much excess water by using pumps & mops
- Place wood blocks or aluminum foil between furniture legs and wet carpets
- Use fans to help dry the affected areas as quickly as possible
- Call a professional to help with structural dry outs
This is not an exhaustive list but the goal is to remove as much water as possible and dry out the area quickly. If you’re not sure where to start contact us for help.
To avoid further damage to your home or business and to prevent injury, here are a few things to avoid doing:
- Use TVs or electrical applicances – especially while standing on wet floors
- Leave non color fast area rugs, magazines or books on wet carpets unless you want to stain the areas
- Use household vacuums to extract water
- Turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet
- Leave wet clothing in place – remove and dry it if possible
Use your best judgement as most of this is logical. If you’re not sure what to do or what your first step is, contact us for guidance.
Get Help with a Structural Dry Out Today!
If you see water gathering and pooling in your home, don’t wait!